Updated theme, and it's calling the deprecated post_class()

Home Forums Using Thematic Child Themes Build Your Own Custom Child Themes Updated theme, and it's calling the deprecated post_class()

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lucaska 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

lucaska
    Participant

So I inherited a project where the theme is a child of thematic. They updated the theme, and now above most of the posts we get:

Warning: Missing argument 1 for thematic_post_class(), called in /home/smmoadev/public_html/wp-content/themes/smmoa/two-columns-with-sidebar.php on line 15 and defined in /home/smmoadev/public_html/wp-content/themes/thematic/library/extensions/dynamic-classes.php on line 402

I saw that the thematic_post_class() has been deprecated, and I added the legacy support to my functions.php, but that doesn’t change it.

If I change thematic_post_class(), to post_class(), in two-columns-with-sidebar.php in the child theme, I get a different error, with metadata showing up where the error was.

I need some help with this issue, as I know nothing about how Thematic works, and I’d like to clear this up before I start actually digging.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Lucas

Scott Nix

The process “If I change thematic_post_class(), to post_class()” you mentioned is exactly the correct way to fix this issue.

You mentioned though you get a different error with metadata that show up. This is a little confusing, if you could provide more information it would be easier to help. Possibly pasting that template into http://hastebin.com/ so the error can be reproduced.

lucaska
    Participant

If I do the fix above, instead of  the error showing at the top of the body, it shows

class=”post-55 page type-page status-publish hentry p publish author- untagged comments-open pings-open y2012 m05 d17 h07 alt slug-hours-admission”

And when inspecting that, it shows that for some reason it is printing it’s corresponding class into the body?

https://gist.github.com/LucasKA/37e5bec88bb298cce690

lucaska
    Participant

Something in the theme is injecting that text right outside the  opening <body> tag, and I can’t figure out what is doing it.

lucaska
    Participant

It seems to me it’s still connected to those deprecated classes.

I pulled out

add_theme_support('thematic_legacy_body_class');

add_theme_support('thematic_legacy_post_class');

And it reduced the text to just

class=”post-55 page type-page status-publish hentry”

I apologize for all the posts, but I like to not only talk “out loud” because it helps me figure it out, it might help you figure out what I am talking about.

Scott Nix

I am can’t 100% test it because it calls some dependencies, but.

Possibly try commenting this out

if (!(THEMATIC_COMPATIBLE_POST_CLASS)) {
    $div_class = get_post_class();
    } else {
    $div_class = post_class();
    }

and swapping out the $div_class to use $post_class that is called in the actual div in the code on line 52 of your gist.

lucaska
    Participant

Thanks for the attempt, but that didn’t do it.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know, this is on a production site, and I gotta get it fixed.

You can see it at the top here

http://smmoa.org/visit/hours-admission/

The thing that is messed up, is that if you inspect it, its just

“class=”post-55 page type-page status-publish hentry””

plopped into the body somehow.

lucaska
    Participant

Here’s some interesting info:

The only pages this is happening on, is ones that are using the redirect to first child.

So that link I gave would be ?page_id=55?page_id=27, and whatever code is injecting that into the body is because of that parent page.

But does anyone know WHAT CODE is doing this?

middlesister
    Keymaster

If my suspicion is correct, the only pages where this happens are the pages that uses your page templates similar to that gist.

Here’s the thing: the post_class() function is a function that echoes/prints the info directly to the page. Since there is a call to that function even before get_header() then the post class string is output then and there, before everything else. This is why Scott suggested to comment out that part of the code. The result of the post_class() function cannot be stored in a variable.

Try changing line 52 to

<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>&#8221; <?php post_class(); ?> > 

and remove or comment out all references to post_class() before that. This will echo exactly the same as what you have in your template, but without using variables. Do this in every custom page template you have. The front page template seems to be two-columns-with-sidebar.php (taken from the body classes).

lucaska
    Participant

That did it!

I tried that earlier, but what I had done was actually replace

if (!(THEMATIC_COMPATIBLE_POST_CLASS)) {
    $div_class = get_post_class();
    } else {
    $div_class = thematic_post_class();
    }

with

$div_class = post_class();

Not realizing it was THAT which was injecting the post class into the body.

Many thanks! I’m glad its solved, I didn’t want to have to roll back to version 0.97 or whatever it was running.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Updated theme, and it's calling the deprecated post_class()’ is closed to new replies.