Trouble Installing Thematic Child Theme

Home Forums Using Thematic Child Themes Build Your Own Custom Child Themes Trouble Installing Thematic Child Theme

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gene (emhr) 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am new to WordPress, but I have searched up and down for the solution for my problem and no other issue seems to be similar to mine.

I first attempted to write my own child theme and ran into this same problem so I did the following, but the same thing keeps happening, so I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

I copied the “thematicsamplechildtheme” folder info (style.css, readme.txt and functions.php) into my new child theme’s folder in the root level of wp-content/themes just as the readme instructed.

However, when I go to install the theme on my WordPress page it says that the theme is installed by incomplete because the stylesheet is missing.

This is the stylesheet provided with my edits. Again I am completely new to this so it is very possible that I just don’t see something:

Theme Name: EC’s Thematic
    Theme URI:
    Description: A Child Theme Based on Thematic
    Author: Emma Constance
    Author URI:
    Template: thematic
    Version: 1.0
    Tags: white, three-columns, two-columns, fixed-width, theme-options, left-sidebar, right-sidebar, threaded-comments, sticky-post, microformats
    License: GNU General Public License v2.0
    License URI:

The Thematic Theme is copyright Ian Stewart
    This work, like WordPress, is released under GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL).

/* Reset browser defaults */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/reset.css’);

/* Apply basic typography styles */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/typography.css’);

/* Apply a basic layout */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/layouts/2c-r-fixed.css’);

/* Apply basic image styles */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/images.css’);

/* Apply default theme styles and colors */
    /* It’s better to actually copy over default.css into this file (or link to a copy in your child theme) if you’re going to do anything outrageous */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/default.css’);

/* Prepare theme for plugins */
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/plugins.css’);

/* Overriding Thematic’s styles for congruity with WP-Admin > Appearance > Header default header text color settings */
    #blog-description { color: #000 }

I originally posted this on the WordPress forums, but it was suggested I come here for help.

Thank you for your help!

Scott Nix

Well, I don’t see anything incorrect with what you posted.

Have you tried to just use the /thematicsamplechildtheme/ and testing to see if it works without any changes made at all? Like don’t modify a single thing.

There really isn’t much to mess up here, has to be something really tiny. :/

Thank you for your reply.

I think so, too. I did just try using the /thematicsamplechildtheme/ without any changes and the same thing happened. Could it be that I am putting the file in the wrong place or naming the file wrong? The file is located at /’s Thematic. The file is called EC’s Thematic.css.

Thank you for any help. This whole issue has been so frustrating! I just want to get my site off the ground!

Gene (emhr)

Your problem is caused by a file naming issue.

Here’re my suggestions:

• Use all lower case.
    • Try using dashes where you would have used spaces.
    • Use only alpha numeric characters. ABC 123 etc. So dont’ use special characters such as apostrophes

So try this:

1. Rename your child theme directory emmas-childtheme
    2. Rename your child theme’s stylesheet style.css. This is a required file name… other wise you’ll keep running  into the same error.
    3. Activate your child theme.

Read this for more detailed info:

Hopefully that’ll resolve your issue. If so please set the status of the topic as “Resolved” in both this thread and the other one at

Gene, thank you so much! That fixed it!

Gene (emhr)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trouble Installing Thematic Child Theme’ is closed to new replies.