Split: 1.01 broke my site. What now?

Home Forums Using Thematic Child Themes Build Your Own Custom Child Themes Split: 1.01 broke my site. What now?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  helgatheviking 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

proto
    Participant

*Edit* This Topic was split from: http://thematictheme.com/forums/topic/1-01-broke-my-site-what-now/

Hey all,

I had similar issues that edelen reported. Gene – thanks for your help. I see that the  is_sidebar_active() has been deprecated so how do I update my child theme to reflect this?

Here’s a link to my site: http://www.freemantradingltd.com/about-us

The sidebars have disappeared, the font styling has gone also.

Any advice on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.

Chris

Strange. It should work even with the deprecated `is_sidebar_active()`. Could you please change it to `is_active_sidebar()` in your child theme?!

Chris

proto
    Participant

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. I just checked, my child theme functions makes no reference to the sidebar. From looking at it could it be a problem with the style.css being called after updating to the latest Thematic?

In my child theme folder I’m using the

@import url(‘../thematic/style.css’);

@import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/reset.css’);

@import url(‘../thematic/library/layouts/2c-r-fixed.css’);

I can’t see my style.css file when viewing the source?

Thanks for any help.

proto
    Participant

helgatheviking

@proto you have sort of hijacked edelen’s thread.  if you are still having issues i would suggest starting your own thread.  though i see the style.css just fine on the site you’ve linked to.

@edelen i would start by reading this post that i wrote:

http://thematictheme.com/2012/06/01/improved-script-style-loading-thematic-1-0/

missing styles and missing scripts can likely be fixed by following some of my examples, which is a good place to start.  if you could post a link to your site and put your functions.php into a pastebin i can take a closer look.

proto
    Participant

Thanks Helga,

Sorry for hijacking – it’s just I had the same problems as edelen.

I’m probably missing something but when I view source. Then click on style.css – it says file not found. It worked fine in the previous version of Thematic, but since I upgraded it seems to have somehow been broken?

sfrangos
    Participant

Hello Proto & Colleagues –

Looking at your CSS calls, I recommend you REMOVE:

/* Default css Stylesheets */
    @import url('../thematic/style.css');

Why? It calls the master themes stylesheed with then calls redundant stylesheets and is unnecessary in child themes.

For example, your child theme calls reset.css and 2c-r-fixed.css. But the master theme, Thematic’s style.css, that I recommend you remove also calls the same two stylesheets, plus some others which you may or may not want to use.

In your child themes only call those you choose from the /thematic/library/ set of options. Refer to the sample child theme for an example.  Everything you need to execute your designs may be called from the library directory.

I am not certain how this may have contributed to the problem you first wrote about, but it should at least cut down on redundant CSS calls in the future.

And, since the master theme calls for a 2 column right fixed layout it could conflict with other layouts you want in your child theme designs.

Cheers –
    Scott

proto
    Participant

Scott,

Thank so much for taking the time to write your response. Much appreciated. Somehow the call to my style.css file which worked fine in the previous Thematic version in the newly updated Thematic doesn’t appear to work.

If anyone can seen an obvious problem other than that which Scott kindly posted please do let me know. Thanks all.

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Proto,

I think you posted to the wrong forum for your topic. You are not using a free or premium child theme and you’re definitely not using the Sophia child theme like the OP in the previous topic.

The build your own child themes forum is better for this discussion.

I split this into its own topic. I’ve also moved it into the appropriate forum since the other topic was in the free and premium child themes forum.

helgatheviking

@proto  scott brings up a good point about extra imports, but even more than that by importing the parent’s full style.css IT imports the reset and layout AGAIN.  there is zero reason to import the parent’s style.css.

`
    /* Default css Stylesheets */
    @import url(‘../thematic/style.css’);
    `

the actual style for thematic would be in the default.css file in the styles library

`

@import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/default.css’);

`

proto
    Participant

Thanks all for your help.

Apologies for posting off piste. Appreciate this great community here. I hope the old thematic forum will be migrating over so we don’t lose such a valuable repository of information!

proto
    Participant

I’ve got the styles to come through. The Problem I’m having is that the menu is not appearing in the right place or the sidebar. Suspect I might be using some deprecated code in my functions.php file.

Here’s my code removing the standard menu and placing it int he widget area page top:

// Remove the standard Thematic menu
    function remove_menu() {
    remove_action(‘thematic_header’,’thematic_access’,9);
    }
    add_action(‘init’, ‘remove_menu’);

// Moving the thematic menu above the header
    add_action(‘widget_area_page_top’,’thematic_access’);

As for the sidebar that now appears below my content rather than on the side. See example here:

http://www.freemantradingltd.com/about-us/

Is their something in the update which may have caused this, I checked the markup and primary aside is generated but it now appears in one block rather than on the side.

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

PS – I’m trying to open and close my example code with <code> but it just seems to appear in its raw format, I know this is a facepalm moment but am I doing something wrong there too (arggg Fridays, at least the weekend’s nearly here!)

proto
    Participant

Ok think I’ve got the layout to work.

I had to import my default layout to my child theme style.css file eg:

`

@import url(‘../thematic/library/layouts/2c-r-fixed.css’);

`

My menu has gone walkabout though (if anyone sees it please let me know, suspect I’m using deprecated code when I removed and then added the Thematic menu to my child theme):

// Remove the standard Thematic menu
    function remove_menu() {
    remove_action(‘thematic_header’,’thematic_access’,9);
    }
    add_action(‘init’, ‘remove_menu’);

// Moving the thematic menu above the header
    add_action(‘widget_area_page_top’,’thematic_access’);

helgatheviking

just remembered that the menu style is no longer in default.css  try adding:

`
    @import url(‘../thematic/library/styles/menu.css’);
    `

instead of using the code tags, use backticks like at the old site (which will not migrate, but should always be there).  the code block thing is annoying the hell out of me, i am working on a better solution.

middlesister
    Keymaster

Your code looks correct to me. Your menu is there, but it is hiding from view because of the styling. #access has `overflow:hidden` in 2c-r-fixed.css, and `height:34px` in style.css.

I suggest you take a look at the menu styles in thematic default.css and copy them over to your style.css and adjust from there. For example default.css changes overflow to visible on #access and hides the skip-link. The only styles that seem custom at the moment are the link hovers, so I don’t think you would lose too much work in doing that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Split: 1.01 broke my site. What now?’ is closed to new replies.