Missing Thumbnails featured images

Home Forums Using Thematic Child Themes Build Your Own Custom Child Themes Missing Thumbnails featured images

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pedrobrito 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

pedrobrito
    Participant

Hi there, Helga!

I have been reading the forum a lot and learning a lot. I am building my ownn ecommerce site and using thematic to buid the theme, and also woocommerce for the ecommerce.

Besides this, I am making another website for a School, and in both of them the thumbnails from the featured images don’t show up in the Blog page, neither on the single post page.
    I have not done anything with the loop code or anything, have just copied the page.php, single.php, etc. from the original thematic folder.
    Am I missing something? Do I have to “turn it on” somewhere?

Thank you so much

Scott Nix

Thematic will only show the featured post thumbnails on the blog page if you are using excerpts. By default Thematic shows full posts, so you won’t see that featured thumbnail. The single page also won’t show featured images.

If you did want to show excerpts, use.

[php]function childtheme_content($content) {
    if ( is_home() ) {
    $content= ‘excerpt’;
    }
    return $content;
    }
    add_filter(‘thematic_content’, ‘childtheme_content’);[/php]

This is one of those things where you have to build it in, it is really easy. However, it is a pain to help others do this because it “depends” on a lot of things. Most importantly image sizes, placement.

The codex is going to help you out a ton here. http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails

So without knowing exactly what you want, by default Thematic will use a 100×100 sized thumbnail, which I don’t find useful, so I usually create an image size I specifically need.

[php]add_image_size( ‘somename-thumbnail’, 300, 300 ); // width and height[/php]

The example above adds a “new image size”, although you can modify Thematics default size also, to do that you would use a filter.

[php]function childtheme_post_thumb_size($size) {
    $size = array(200,200);
    return $size;
    }
    add_filter(‘thematic_post_thumb_size’, ‘childtheme_post_thumb_size’);[/php]

I mentioned the above functions because you probably want a different thumbnail size, like if you did want to add a thumbnail to your blog page when using full posts, or single pages, you can create the image size you want, then add that in through a override or on the page template (like post.php).

The most basic example to add one to a single post so the featured image shows by default.

[php]function childtheme_override_single_post() {
    // action hook for insterting content above #post
    thematic_abovepost(); ?>

<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?> >

<?php thematic_postheader(); ?>

<div class="entry-content">

<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_post_thumbnail(‘somename-thumbnail’); ?></a> <?php // this is the added image ?>

<?php thematic_content(); ?>

<?php wp_link_pages(array(‘before’ => sprintf(‘<div class="page-link">%s’, __(‘Pages:’, ‘thematic’)), ‘after’ => ‘</div>’)); ?>

</div><!– .entry-content –>

<?php thematic_postfooter(); ?>

</div><!– #post –>

<?php thematic_belowpost();
    }[/php]

The example above just adds a image (somename-thumbnail), there is a ton of other functionality you can add involving thumbnails, but this should help, these are just a few examples of functions I have used that were laying around.

There are tons of options and information, but the codex should help, they do take a little bit to understand, but once you get it, it is cake.

pedrobrito
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Missing Thumbnails featured images’ is closed to new replies.