Minimalist styling in 2.0 – is this right?

Home Forums Using Thematic ( without a child theme ) Minimalist styling in 2.0 – is this right?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  philipmjones 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

philipmjones
    Participant

My new installation of Thematic 2.0 seems even more minimalist than previous versions, so I wanted to check that it has installed correctly and I’m not missing anything.

In particular the menu is styled just as a list, not a menu with dropdowns like in 1.x. This is the same whether viewed on a full width screen or a mobile device.

Please could you take a look at how it is displaying at http://www.preview-3.co.uk/en. Is this how Thematic 2.0 is supposed to look or is there more that I am missing?

Thanks,

Philip

middlesister
    Keymaster

In short, no, the main stylesheet is not loading.

The main stylesheet is registered under the handle “thematic-main” and lives in the folder library/css/main.css. For some reason only the theme’s style.css is enqueued.

As I see the source code of the page, I notice the theme being referenced with the slug “Thematic-2.0” and not simply “thematic”. Since the theme is checking for the theme slug “thematic” in the enqueuing call, this is why the stylesheet is missing.

If you change the folder name to all lowercase “thematic”, things should work. This is same solution as the previous thread you created. Note that this only applies when the parent Thematic theme is the active theme.

In your child theme, all you need to add is

wp_enqueue_style( ‘thematic-main’);

or use the supplied code in the sample child theme for the stylesheet to load. No matter the folder name of the parent.

That said, I would consider it a bug to require a hard coded folder name for the parent theme to work. I will make a note of it and fix it for a point release. Thank you for trying out 2.0 and reporting this.

philipmjones
    Participant

Thanks again. It looks like, once again, the renaming of the theme folder by Github was the root cause of the problem. It’s now working perfectly!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist styling in 2.0 – is this right?’ is closed to new replies.