Make category as startpage?

Home Forums Using Thematic ( without a child theme ) Make category as startpage?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gene (emhr) 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

kraeftan
    Participant

Hi!
    I want to set my category as my startpage.

Right now it points to my “home” page but I want it to point to “/?cat=1”

Any suggestions?

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Create a child theme and put this in it’s functions.php

function childtheme_cat_limited_blog( $query ) {
        if ( $query->is_home() && $query->is_main_query() ) {
            $query->set( 'cat', '1' );
        }
    }
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'childtheme_cat_limited_blog' );

Note that this will respect sticky post functionality regardless of the specified category limitation.

See: Codex entry: pre_get_posts

kraeftan
    Participant

how do I create a childtheme?

kraeftan
    Participant

Ok i found the childthemesasample and i moved it, renamed it and activated it. I pasted the code in its fuctions.php

Dont se any changes :/

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Can you share your new functions.php file with me using http://pastebin.com ?

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Also what are your site’s WP-Admin Reading settings?

kraeftan
    Participant

kraeftan
    Participant

The admin settnings in wordpress are: startpage showed as static page “Home” and default on the rest.

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Sorry I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. The code that I shared will only work for when you have the Reading setting set to show “Your latest posts” on the Front Page.

The Reading settings for “Front page displays” a “static page” is really geared for that exactly. To show a wp page’s content on the front and assigning the post loop to another page.

Do you need a separate front page from the Blog (post loop page)?

kraeftan
    Participant

Okey I can write exectly want I need.

First, I have a wordpress that contains buttons as both pages and categories.
    The frotnpage that I want to show is “home” its a category.

I also made that the “wordpress” catalog point directly to my domain adress in the Wp admin settnings.

So what I need now is a code or something that will make my “home” category called “/?cat=1” to be the first page when you surf to my domain adress.

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

I think I’m seeing what you want to do now. Try using my code above in a child theme *and* set your WP-Admin reading settings to “Front Page Displays” -> “Your latest posts” and save the setting.

See if that gives you what you desire.

kraeftan
    Participant

Followed your instructions and it leaves me with a blank page. You can check it out if you want http://djjokerinc.com/

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Bummer. you probably want to use wp_debug to give you more information to go on than just a white page.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

kraeftan
    Participant

Okey I solved the problem, was some script that wasn’t correct. But the frontpage works, only one thing to go now.  The menu dosen’t show any categories buttons, only pages.  Any fix for that?

Gene (emhr)
    Keymaster

Did you remove the && $query->is_main_query() part of my code? Because that is what keeps it from affecting the nav menu items as well as other things, widgets for example.

If that part of the script was what was causing the white page then it’s because your installed version of WordPress 3.2 or earlier. If this is the case you should upgrade your WordPress to the current version (3.5.1 at the time of this post).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Make category as startpage?’ is closed to new replies.