Clean install of Thematic 2.0 giving warning message

Home Forums Using Thematic ( without a child theme ) Clean install of Thematic 2.0 giving warning message

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  philipmjones 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

philipmjones
    Participant

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest Thematic 2.0 from Github and installed it on a site I am developing with the latest WP release and the WPML multilingual plugin. When I activated it I am getting several notices:

Notice: thematic_create_doctype is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Use childtheme_override_doctype instead. in /public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3378

Notice: thematic_head_profile is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Use childtheme_override_head instead. in /public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3378

Notice: thematic_create_contenttype is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Use childtheme_override_meta_charset instead. in /public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3378

I have also tried disabling all plugins and the noticed remain.

Is this expected behaviour or does it suggest that something has gone wrong with my install?

Thanks,

Philip

middlesister
    Keymaster

Have you ever had Thematic installed previously on this site (meaning there are old settings lurking in the database)? Or are you using these named functions in a child theme?

These deprecation notices indicate that the xhtml functions have been used. As the notices say, the xhtml have been deprecated in favor of html5.

New installs are html5 by default, but if we detect previous Thematic settings in the database then xhtml is used in order not to break the site and these deprecation notices are shown.

If this is a clean new install, I would love to get more details about your setup so I can find out if there is a bug somewhere. We have of course tested the theme and upgrade paths but it is impossible to test all permutations.

A child theme that upgrades and want to switch to html5 can add
    add_theme_support( 'thematic_html5' );

in the functions.php file.

If you really really want to use xhtml, you can suppress these notices with

add_theme_support( 'thematic_legacy_quiet' );

philipmjones
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks very much for replying so quickly. Yes, you are right. I was inaccurate in saying it’s a clean install, as it did already have the earlier version of Thematic on it.

I have started to create a child theme but not done any work on it yet, so I am keen to roll back and have a ‘pure’ Thematic 2.0 theme.

Is this simply a matter of uninstalling the themes and putting Thematic 2.0 back?

Thanks,

Philip

middlesister
    Keymaster

Yes you can simply put 2.0 back and start from there. I’d put the theme support call for html5 in the child theme’s functions.php just to be safe.

Also, the loading of the stylesheet has changed in 2.0. You will need to enqueue the parent stylesheet from the child theme. See https://github.com/ThematicTheme/Thematic/wiki/Transition-from-Thematic-1.0.4-to-2.0#enqueue-the-parent-stylesheet

Happy coding!

philipmjones
    Participant

Thanks for all your advice. In the end, simply removing the old Thematic theme didn’t work, so I opted to start again with a clean install.

I’m looking forward to creating a whole load more sites based on Thematic, this time with the brave new world of 2.0.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Clean install of Thematic 2.0 giving warning message’ is closed to new replies.